Monday 14 February 2011

A week of sport.

The Tarheels have seen tumultuous times over the past week so I thought I'd post and wish them luck before the Wake Forest game tomorrow!!


Last Sunday was probably the most sport filled day of my life so far. Nick and I went to see UNC play Florida, -- a really good game, and the stadium still gives me chills. We beat them (naturally) 89-69. Though to be honest I can see why any team would loose steam when playing in a stadium crammed full of tar heels and only a few of their own supporters dotted around... There were even fewer there than the first game I saw I think. Everyone gets insanely into it, the standing crowd all reach up to the goal to try and help the players aim and then for the opposition they wave around madly to try and put them off their aim...


Sunday also saw my first Superbowl experience. I feel it was sufficiently Americanized! We went over to my friend Melissa's house, and she made guacamole, nachos, brownies... so good. My friend Anna is a massive Packers fan so we all dressed accordingly in green and yellow and joined her screaming at the telly. I even managed to understand the game most of the time!


The adverts were not what I was expecting, having heard so many amazing things about them. I was anticipating high tech, expensive looking chic clips, when what hit the screens was comical, bawdy and absolutely ridiculous. They are made by fans though, I hear, so that explains the smaller budget. All of their money goes on paying for airing them during the superbowl -- a damage of $2.5 million. Plus.


:o


They're certainly meant to be remembered.


Wednesday saw the occurrence of The Big Game.
UNC v/ Duke.
The infamy of this rivalry was made clear to us from when we first got here, especially at that first basketball game. "Go to hell duke!!" are the screams that end the UNC chant at every game, irrespective of who we were playing... I'm quickly coming to learn the actual hatred of this school when it comes to sport..!


The game was showing at the local cinema, Varsity. They had it on 2 screens so there were loads of students there watching, quite surreal being sat in the "movies" watching a game! And it was a brilliant match. UNC lead most of the way. Then Duke's sneaky 3 point shooting skills got the better of us after half time, and they pulled up and ahead in the final moments..


Its strange after only being here a month but we all feel such commitment towards the teams already. The atmosphere on Franklin street, the main street running through the town and alongside campus, was awful after the game. There were police stationed ready to deal with street fires and general, out of hand excitement had we have won, but there was no need. Franklin was just crowded with dejected fans making their way back to their dorms / houses / cars. It felt like a funeral procession! If I were sitting at home now I would probably think it was ridiculously overblown and dramatic, but the people here are serious supporters. Many of them have been brought up on the Tar heels so they really are life long supporters.


UNC-Wake Forest game tomorrow, we have phase 1 tickets!
So yeah: go to hell, Duke.
xxxx

No comments:

Post a Comment