Tuesday 3 May 2011

LDOC.

I just finished my first American "final" [yippee] so thought I would catch up with actually having a bit of a life... Somewhat. Blogging and skyping home, and helping friends to pack . . . :'(

It went okay I think, exams are yet one more thing which send my two countries flying apart... You go to class like usual, sit like usual, have your bags like usual, chat like usual until the teacher turns up... My friend Buddy and I studied together last night and then this morning, firing back and forward essay ideas and questions which was v productive! So we walked in this morning and I had to go buy a blue book with the help of the American, you have to buy them from the student stores, and they are these A5ish size little books with blue covers just like the ones you use in primary school. With ruled, wide lines! So strange. We sat the exam which was 3 hours but people took 50mins-2hr15 to do it...

LDOC = Last Day of Class, for those of you as confused as I was when people started saying this all the time!!

The last day of classes was last week, this week is exam week. I can't believe it!!

There were major celebrations on the LDOC, I had a paper due at midnight which sucked, so just studied, but I came out of the library at 2am and the frat houses were going wild... I'll miss the craziness of the Frats even though they are generally awful things.

Even studying is a collective effort at UNC though, which I love. The night after LDOC there was a group of about 50 streakers in the center of campus, they ran down the 8 floors of the library Imani, Nick and I were in, then out into the pitt and into the coffee shop, then into the other library. We followed them in there, where they proceeded to do back flips and everyone sang the school song. Then we all just went back to work. So. Strange. But such are the lives of American college students, I am coming to see. I love it. So much better than dull old revision alone!!

Tonight there's a flash rave outside the library, where for about 10 minutes the students just go crazy and dance around. Last time there was a DJ and people dancing on the roof...

It's also been rather exciting around here with Bin Laden's death, too. I was just studying in my room when Anna came running in to tell me... There were people setting off fireworks in the corridor, and everyone was running about going wild as spontaneous parties began on Franklin. People just dropped their work to go out and party for the death of someone who has caused such an incredible amount of damage and pain. It was quite a spectacular night to be in the States for. We watched Obama's speech on TV last night, too..

The weather's been perfect and I have enjoyed my last couple of weeks revising with friends and spending time in the hill, despite the horrendous work load. I just can't think about leaving right now!
I wrote my final article in the DTH, too. It was on the theatre group Lab! who I wrote the front page'r with, and their plans for the next academic year. Strange to think that all this will still be going on and I wont be here!

http://www.dailytarheel.com/index.php/blog/canvas/2011/04/lab_theatre_preps_for_next_year039s_seaon

xxx

No comments:

Post a Comment