Tuesday 22 March 2011

Is this real life?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=txqiwrbYGrs

So that is what David asked his uncle.

You know, he has a point. Since moving here I often wonder the same thing, as my head is daily filled with the southern accent, as I put shorts on to go to class and walk home smelling the smells of a Greek summer evening, walk into a baseball game, past students in my hall's pool between classes, watch friends go off to cheer lead... It all sometimes feels a bit unreal.

My parents came to visit this week which was so so lovely. Having them here made me feel a bit more like I was on an extended holiday, as it was their holiday. Talking to them about home, and uni, and summer jobs, and holidays, and housing plans, etc., -- all the "real" stuff to sort out back in the U.K, made me feel all that bit closer to the reality of coming home.

AHH.

Noo, I'm not ready yet! I miss my friends heaps, and there are many times I wish I could just transport them here, particularly when they're going through tough times. But then I sit with some of my friends here, and it really panics me that there might not be many more times I'll sit and study with ___X___, or have ice cream with ___Y___. I do not like change, as I said when I left home.

The week's been really nice though, and made me miss home a little less having a touch of it here! I forget how much fun I have with my parents.

We took a trip at the weekend too which was cool. To Wilmington. Its a coastal town, with beaches -- Saturday was about 80 degrees so that was niiiiiiice -- and seafood. And downtown has a harbour and shops markets etc.And you can see across the harbour a huge WW2 battle ship.

We also tested lots of Chapel Hill restaurants - Mama Dips = amazing down home southern food for anyone who finds themselves here! (Margaret in particular have you been??) I took them to Topo (top of the hill) on St Patricks day, and mum had a suitably green beer! And we went to the Mediterranian that Andrew took Nick and I to on our first night, I haven't been there since and forgot how amazing the food was there, shall have to make the most of that before leaving!

It was just really relaxed, and lovely to go to class in the morning, then meet them on Franklin for lunch and spend the afternoons with them... They actually explored more than I have so far, so showed me some cool places! Students just don't have the time to stop, and stare...

Sad to see them go home today :(

Ooh also v. ecxiting news, my story for the DTH is going on the front page tomorrow! So exciting. I have written quite a few now, the weekly articles add up. Here are a few links to the ones that went on the website, if anyone's interested!

I wrote about 2 art galleries:
http://www.dailytarheel.com/index.php/blog/canvas/2011/02/stone_center_exhibit_explores_race_through_magical_realism
http://www.dailytarheel.com/index.php/blog/canvas/2011/02/artery
Ginger came with me to these which was nice, -- Art History Major, she came in use!!

And a crazy play:
http://www.dailytarheel.com/index.php/article/2011/02/unc_performing_arts_students_to_present_99_ways_to_fk_a_swan

And most recently a new film series that's coming out in the cinema here:
http://www.dailytarheel.com/index.php/blog/canvas/2011/03/cold_warthemed_films_promises_classics

This was reaaally cool. I had to interview the writer who was rehearsing another play in Chicago, and I had to do a joint conference interview with 4 people over the phone, and the director gave me 2 free tickets to go see the play! So nice. It was quite an interesting play, too, I enjoyed it. They had a really cool space to use, as it was all on the stage part of a stage, and the actors came through the audience, like a catwalk.

Eek, kind of nervous about the article tomorrow, but it's exciting all the same.

Anyway watch the above clip if you have 2 minutes, it just generally made me chuckle, a lot.
-- In contrast to Rebecca Black's "Friday", this is one video I am glad I helped go viral.


Love to everyone, miss you all at home 
x X x

No comments:

Post a Comment