Wednesday 19 January 2011

The Game.

GO TARHEELS! 
So, we ventured to our first game of the season yesterday. Wow wow wow. I have never seen anything like it, and it's hard to believe that this is a college team playing in the middle of a campus. There were fans there from everywhere, and the stadium is HUGE. We got tickets just before and headed on down in all our blue gear, face paints galore :) There were real-life cheerleaders, the pom-pom ones. (Apparently they're not 'proper' & a bit embarrassing according to one of my hall mates Lindsay. She's a competition cheerleader -- bring-it-on-style!). They paraded their award winning gymnasts, had massive advertisements and videos of famous players giving little cheesy emotional speeches about NC during the game, crowd chants, flags... And to top it off, the tarheels won! What a night.




We had an E.A.S.E get-to-know-you event tonight in the music block. Pretty good fun! They were telling us about more events they're organising, and signing up for sports etc. We're going to make a tennis team I think, and do volleyball or something. And touch ball?!? We did international'y activities to find out more about the other exchanges, filling out one of those 'find someone who can....' forms. I filled the 'find someone who is shorter than 5ft3', category hehe. Some of us played this ninja game on the stage too which was so silly, the guys who run E.A.S.E are just so chilled out and fun. Then a couple of us went to jack sprat, a bar/café, afterwards, and that was the most English people I have been with for a very long time it seems! There were 5 of us and 2 Aussies. Felt quite nice to speak to someone with the English accent again, and for someone to actually nod in comprehension instead of utter confusion and stifled laughter when I tell them I'm from Bourton on the water, Gloucestershire!


OOH, and yesterday I attended a DTH meeting.. 
The first day I came here I saw the newspaper boxes around campus and picked one up from outside my halls, noticing it was a student-run one. And it was made out to look like the Mail, called: The Daily Tarheel. It looked pretty good and we had a flick through. Then I went on their website and oh, my, its impressive. Seriously puts Kings to shame!! I asked Nick's mentor about it last weekend and he was telling me a bit about it, its a DAILY newspaper (!!) and apparently the editors of it come out of school and basically straight into a job with the NYT or something. Its rather prestigious. 


So they had a meeting about joining and I took an application form, you have to go in for like a whole day not just submit random articles for it like you can for ROAR, but you can leave for classes etc and just come back whenever, your story must just be in for the next day's edition. Pretty neat. When I walked into the offices I was a little awestruck. They have their own HQ really near to my halls, and it looks like a professional magazine offices of something when you walk in. With plaques spelling: The Daily Tarheel posted on the wall and framed editions of the paper underneath. AH.


First essay due in tomorrow, I hope its ok : / Its really short. REALLY short, like a page. I have to 'turn in' 3 of these one page'rs overall and they make up 10% of one class' grade. So I'm not too worried, and its my first one also, but it would still be nice to do ok on it!


xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
[[If your interested here's the URL for the paper's website: http://www.dailytarheel.com/ ]]

3 comments:

  1. Good luck with the essay, I'm sure you'll do amazingly!
    The game and newspaper sound so good.

    ReplyDelete
  2. what a lovely view of the stadium

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Haddock! It is pretty spectacular....
    I have just been having a peruse of your blog :)

    ReplyDelete