Monday 24 January 2011

Monday [sky] blues

For a Monday, today's going pretty well!

I had a 9am this morning which wasn't too pretty, but then went to the library and had a productive morning until my class at 1. We had a reading quiz on Oedipus the King, and watched the film adaptation of Angels in America. Niiice class. Then I bobbed into the DTH offices on the way home to see if they'd put up the hiring lists and guess what.. I got onto the Arts desk!!! yippee. Very excited but also a tad nervous..

The weekend wasn't hugely eventful, I went with some of the study abroad's to a kickboxing class on Friday and ohmy, it kicked our 'butts'!! I woke up on Saturday with the ability to feel every muscle in my back but and legs. Not good. Suppose that shows we worked hard..? Running on Saturday was p.a.i.n.f.u.l!! The kickboxing woman was cool though, so enthusiastic, I felt like we were in a pump it up DVD or something haha. We also decided to go to DC this weekend. Jane called me up and was like, you in? So yah, we booked a coach up there for a sneaky $20! So cheap. I'm VERY excitedd hehe.

Also we sat next to a potential next miss America at dinner last night! She is Caroline's little, (a sorority thing, basically like her little sister as when she joined they were assigned to one another. So you have bigs, littles, grandbigs. Twins. Don't ask). She's won her town title, and is going for Miss Carolina in the summer. So who knows, if she gets through that she could be promoting world peace this time next year.. And still be eating 4 sticks of celery with a small pot of dip for her dinner.
Each unto their own.

Later Ginger is taking me along to her sorority house for dinner! Quite exciting. They all have their own chefs but i'm not sure how it works.. or how many of the girls will be there.. so nice of her to ask us though. I'm off to an e.a.s.e coffee meeting thingy at a place called Cariboo soon, so shall go get ready methinks. My mentor is coming too which'll be cool. She's so crazy. 
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Ooh I have also decided to add an addition to my posts, being one phrase of Britishness or a crazy Americanism which has cropped up in the day. They happen so often and I know i'll just forget them otherwise!
  So, right now the one that crops to mind is Caroline after dinner yesterday. She was asking about DC and said who y'all going to Washington then? Took me a few seconds to realise what she'd said... before answering how many of us were going.
  Oh and I love the way they say 'swole' over here, especially with the southern accent. Meaning fit basically. I think its something Evan invented just so he can go on about how much of a muscles-man he is haha.
  A girl was visiting Danielle from Jersey over the weekend (yes, as in Jersey shore), and she said down there they say things are 'ill'. Like some people might say something was 'sick'. or Cool. -- Huh?
  Last night I was talking to Melissa who lives opposite me, and I said that Freud's Oedipus complex theory came "yonks" after Sophocles' play. Took her a few seconds to burst out laughing... ohh dear.

No comments:

Post a Comment